Library
Home

Bean House is named after the second Headmaster, Edwin Bean, whose leadership made All Saints' for a time one of the most renowned schools in Australia. His son, C.E.W. Bean, was the author of the official history of Australia's involvement in World War I and was also the founder of the Australian War Memorial.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Mr Patrick Sinclair
Head of Bean House
Ph. 6332 7362

Edwin Bean - The Second Headmaster All Saints' College 1878 - 1888

Born on April 16th, 1851, at Bombay (India), Edwin Bean's father was a surgeon-major in the East India Company's service and a veteran of Guzerat and the siege of Mooltan, in the Sikh War. Like most Anglo-Indian children, his mother took him to England to be educated. At the age of six he was sent to Somerset College, Bath, and at nine was transferred to the small preliminary school from which Clifton College sprang two years later. He remained at Clifton College for seven years.

Edwin Bean was a classical scholar and poet and although he was not an athlete, he played rugby for his House and later rowed for Oxford in the College fours. He became Head of School House and Vice-Captain of the School. In 1869 he went to Oxford with a classical scholarship at Trinity College and the promise of a brilliant future. But at Oxford, partly by not possessing an “examination temperament" and partly from overwork, his career was disappointing. By attempting additional work for the India Civil Service, he suffered a severe illness resulting in a breakdown. He achieved a B.A. with Honours but this did not represent his true ability.

In 1873, he worked in Hobart as a private tutor before taking up a classical appointment at Geelong Grammar School where he helped to start the sport of rowing and the Geelong Grammar School quarterly. From here he was appointed classical master of the Sydney Grammar School. While in Tasmania, Edwin Bean met and fell in love with Miss Lucy Madeline Butler. They married in 1877 shortly before he became Headmaster at All Saints' College. He enjoyed 49 happily married years. Edwin Bean was appointed Headmaster of All Saints' College at the age of 26. He brought with him a desire to foster the elements of the public school spirit in England.

Upon his appointment, he extended buildings, constructed a western wing for boys and established a preparatory school. His opening term in 1878 commenced with 16 boys. He spent his holidays travelling to districts where he thought the school should serve the community. He would explain to parents what a public school education meant and why they should give their sons the benefit of one.

Mrs Bean wrote of their early days “We arrived in Bathurst on a hot day in January, when my husband was 26 years old and I 25, young people for such a responsible task! In those days Bathurst was very primitive and there was much to do and not much money to spend. A chief difficulty was water supply. Water needed to be fetched from Mr. Sambrook's well in a cart but when Sergeant Beel became sick, Edwin used to fetch the water himself. With all these problems we pulled through and the school grew in numbers and reputation."

By the middle of 1878, six months after Bean assumed control, the attendance more than doubled and at the end of the year, 61 students were enrolled. It was not long into his first term when he introduced the school's magazine - The Bathurstian. The first copy appeared as a quarterly production. Except for a brief interval after the Great War, when the school was closed, its publication has been uninterrupted to this day.

In the same the year, cadet corps were formed and they wore the uniform of the volunteer Infantry of the period - red coat and blue trousers with a red stripe down the side. Instead of helmets they were provided with peak caps. They carried the old heavy Enfield muzzle-loading rifle with the triangular bayonet attached. They were drilled twice a week. They took part in camps, public parades and attended the New South Wales Rifle Association meetings in Sydney. In 1883, while Bean was in England, it was disbanded and never reformed again.

The present school badge was designed and adopted by Edwin Bean shortly after his arrival at the College in 1878 and by 1885 the school had become recognised as one of the great public schools in the State. The Headmaster was a diligent worker and good organiser, whose habit was to grapple with any task immediately, whatever the odds against him. He was always ready to learn. Apart from lessons in the classroom he exercised a vigilant supervision over the physical and moral welfare of his pupils by his encouragement of sports and other co-curricular activities. He inaugurated the Annual Sports Day and camping programme, and in 1882 established the school library as well as carpentry and dancing classes. He introduced the system of prefects and study rooms for senior students. He also instituted a debating class, Christmas theatricals and Annual Camp.

Edwin Bean was greatly assisted by Mrs Bean who organised sing-songs and every Sunday night would read to the boarders in the drawing room. These were occasional pleasant evenings for boys whose good behaviour was rewarded with an invitation to attend such events. She brought many gentle aspects of home life to the boarders. He would encourage everything that was cultural and refining for a young man, focusing on respect, honour and generosity and thus he established an All Saints' spirit that remains to this day.

Edwin Bean endowed two prizes - known as the Bean Prize and Brentwood respectfully. One of these remains to this day. The Bean Prize is awarded to a Year 12 student who demonstrates outstanding leadership and academic and sporting excellence. The winner's name is added to the Honour Board in the College Dining Room. Edwin Bean's son Charles inaugurated the C.W. Bean scholarship. This is awarded to the best historian in Year 10 and 11.

More News...

No Events Today

More Events...